Corpse Blast may have to be removed due to complaints

All that is new.
bsb5652
Site Admin

Corpse Blast may have to be removed due to complaints

Post#1 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:10 am

Hi All,

I have received many complaints like this one "In my opinion, it takes too long for monsters to despawn and drop their loot, in some instances I saw it took up to 10 seconds for the dead monster to spawn an item on the ground, this has the unfortunate side effect of interrupting game play, forcing the player to wait 10 seconds every time they kill an enemy if they want to make sure they don't miss any loot. Even in the earlier levels, some of this dropped loot can be quite good."

I am reducing decay time back to 3 seconds, but will make the spell unusable entirely. Reduced Mob decay rates will be on beta shortly. Brumm is looking at adjusting the spell to make it work for near death vs. having to be dead. Not sure just yet.
Brian Bloom

Realms of Trinity Executive Producer & Game Creator
http://www.realmsoftrinity.com

Brumm

Re: Corpse Blast may have to be removed due to complaints

Post#2 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:20 am

Hello everybody,

the best idea I have so far is letting Corpse Explosion explode creatures with <=15% of their HP. To make it easily perceiveable if a creature is killeable with the spell we can use the different injury levels from vanilla NWN2. So whenever a creature is tagged as "near to death" you can explode it. Currently that level would be 25% of max HP which sounds a bitt too overpowered. But we can probably change that to 15%. Thoughts?

Brumm

Edit: I would probably lower the damage of the spell a bit then. Otherwise it would become much stronger than it is at the moment.

Brumm

Post#3 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:06 pm

Little update:
We'll probably go for a different approach. You will be able to cast the spell at living creatures. When the target dies within 3 rounds it explodes. That makes the spell very similar to the current version and maybe even slightly easier to handle.

Samyx

Post#4 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:33 pm

Sounds pretty fun.

"You are dead but you don't know it yet"
Makes that spell a Kenshiro thing.

If you wanted to make a Fun addition to Unarmed Monks, I have always considered fiery fist as useless. Why not replace its effect (1D6 fire damage lol) by Corpse explosion spell, so unarmed monks Monks can benefit of this too, as a special perk ?

kc2345

Post#5 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:23 pm

Tested the new Corpse Explosion on beta.

It is working as intended, but appears to be far too powerful now, as it has turned into an extremely reliable AOE that can easily do over 1,000 damage.

The big limitation of the original was the very limited window where you had to react to a mob's death and land the spell within 10s of the corpse appearing for a big payoff. This is no longer the case, and it can now easily be cast on multiple targets to make them living bombs.

Thus, I would recommend reducing the debuff from 3 to 2 rounds (to keep in line with the original's 10s window), and recommend lowering the damage from 40-80% (60% HP average) to 20-60% (40% HP average).

Alternatively, to keep the big risk/payoff mechanic, the duration can be shortened all the way to 1 round, but the damage kept at 40-80%.

Brumm

Post#6 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:27 am

OK, I'll take a look at it.

kc2345

Post#7 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:50 am

Sure.

My experience with a 3 round duration is that I can cast it on a full health mob and still have it go off easily. In theory, a CL 50 Arcane can kill even a 10,000 hp mob in 3 rounds on his own with autoquicken by spamming Avasculate.

Round 1:
10,000 HP
-3,000 Avasculate
-3,000 Avasculate

Round 2:
4,000 HP
-2,000 Avasculate
-1,000 Avasculate

Round 3:
1,000 HP
Just nuke twice with a K Orb, IGMS or any direct damage spell.

That mob will then explode into a 4,000-8,000 damage AOE with Corpse Explosion.

My personal preference would be to shorten the duration to 1 round (6s) while keeping the damage constant. This means you have to actively watch the healthbar of the mob you're fighting and only fire it on a low HP target.

At 2-3 rounds, it can be cast onto full health mobs and still trigger fairly often.

Samyx

Post#8 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:25 pm

Whatever the duration, it could be a fun replacement for fiery fist for unarmed monks.
What about this ?

kc2345

Post#9 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:03 pm

I'm not against giving something similar to monks, but if done, I think it should be implemented as Quivering Palm and not Fiery Fist. Perhaps a 30s cooldown, instant ability that inflicts the status effect on a mob?

I think Fiery Fist should instead be buffed to something like Elemental Essence/Toxic Gift. 1d8 fire damage when unarmed. This increases to 2d8 at ER2. Damage is added to character to allow for stacking with forged damage.

Samyx

Post#10 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:41 am

Whatever the feat, I had in mind fiery fist because monks have to actively pay for the feat instead of having for free. And currently Fiery fist is totally useless.
And as long as there is gore and exploding corpses, that's fine with me.
The way of the exploding fist ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_3rmoA1JKY

Return to “News”