Volunteering as a writer

This forum is for all those who are or want to create content for the Realms of Trinity world.
BMR

Volunteering as a writer

Post#1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:22 am

Hi there. Was wondering if there was any way I could help with the writing? From what I gather, there are people on proofreading and all, but I was wondering if it would be possible to contribute new/expanded dialogue? The story thus far is fine, but the dialogue options open to my character (and I suppose, every character) makes my character seem like a bipolar adolescent with serious rage issues and a slightly skewed view of reality. e.g. when confronting bandits in the sewers, the only option open to my character is to get all high and mighty and preach about how the bandit king's reign of terror is at an end. Then when meeting Bigheadius (sp?) in Avernus, I turn all nasty and call him a "fat head" (really? who calls anyone "fat head"?). Then when fighting a horrible personification of evil, I call him a "fowl" demon. It makes me wonder if my character is suddenly seeing chickens everywhere because of the sulfur fumes getting to his head when in the Nine Hells.

I understand that the nature of the game doesn't really allow for all that much branching in terms of gameplay, but I feel that there could be greater variety of dialogue while still leading to the same result. The encounter with the lich woman in the haunted moathouse, for example. As it is, the woman toys with you, and then your only response is "FIGHT!" as if you were some testoserone filled barbarian frothing at the lips while seeing nothing but blood everywhere. That could have different variations in dialogue, like the option to tell the woman "it's not too late to be forgiven, give in and I'll make it painless" or something like "that's a good offer actually, I'm not getting paid nearly enough as it is" or perhaps "Lady, you're insane." Of course, whatever option the player picks, it'll end in a battle. There's no real choice, but the ability to provide for some roleplay would really (in my opinion) enhance the flavor of the game.

Also, the character seems to suddenly spout information that comes out of left field. Like in the encounter at Avernus with the demon keeping Bigheadius' soul key, my character suddenly spouts something about divine laws. That would make sense if my character was a cleric (he is) but not if he was a rogue. Again, this could have some sort of branching dialogue (that doesn't really affect the final outcome) with a few checks. Like the character could say that thing about the laws with a Wisdom check, or perhaps a Bluff check, or what have you. Again, it would all lead to combat, but it provides for greater roleplay and immersion on the part of the player.

Another thing I found a bit lacking was the descriptions on the various monsters. For the most part, there's no flavor text. I know it doesn't really add much to the game, but I feel that having flavor text and descriptions for the monsters you're fighting would really add to the overall atmosphere and immersion (and thus roleplaying) in the game. Where instead of "This is a magically animated skeleton" you could have something like "The bleached white bones of the skeleton shudder and shamble towards you in a foul mockery of life. There's nothing in these bones but the evil magics the necromancer used to animate it. More evidence of that magic manifests itself in the sickly red glow within the eye sockets of the skeleton's skull that gleam ever the brighter once they lock onto you." If possible, I'd like to contribute flavor text like that as well.

Hmm, I seem to have written quite a bit... Anywho, that's all from me for now. I look forward to being able to help out with writing if you'll have me. Cheers!

eidolon

Re: Volunteering as a writer

Post#2 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:32 am

I'm not Brian, but if you can sketch out a dialog tree for a couple of scenes to start with, I can try and see about getting it into the game. If you haven't done NWN2 development before, it might be worth looking over Section 6 of ROT-NWN2-Setup.doc from this post. It will give you the basics of how conversations are constructed.

Brumm

Post#3 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:51 am

Welcome to ROT!

I could use a helping hand with the description of items and/or creatures. English is not my native language and writing good descriptions/dialogues still gives me trouble or rather it takes me a disproportional amount of time. If you are interested I can PM you in the next days.

Brumm

BMR

Post#4 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:14 pm

eidolon wrote:I'm not Brian, but if you can sketch out a dialog tree for a couple of scenes to start with, I can try and see about getting it into the game. If you haven't done NWN2 development before, it might be worth looking over Section 6 of ROT-NWN2-Setup.doc from this post. It will give you the basics of how conversations are constructed.

I've done some NWN2 devlopment before. Was working on my own module set in the game world I use for tabletop gaming. Had about a couple of hours worth of gameplay, last I recall. Unfortunately, an unexpected hard drive failure destroyed it and I lost interest in redoing everyting.

I'll put together a few trees (in text format for now) within a couple of days or so.

Brumm wrote:Welcome to ROT!

I could use a helping hand with the description of items and/or creatures. English is not my native language and writing good descriptions/dialogues still gives me trouble or rather it takes me a disproportional amount of time. If you are interested I can PM you in the next days.

Brumm

I'm very interested, I look forward to your PM.

BMR

Post#5 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:13 am

So I took a gander at the developer's kit, but I require a password to open it. I read that I had to PM bsb5652, but it would seem that I have yet to accumulate enough posts to enable that specific feature on the boards. In the meantime, I've been going through some of the early-game descriptions for baddies, and have taken the liberty of writing up a few short blurbs for each.

• Bandit (orc) (Haunted Moathouse - 1st Floor) - Bandits are everywhere, and this particular bandit seems to have chosen the haunted moathouse as a base of operations. It would seem that this particular bandit provides the sheer brute force of this band, and the way he fights reinforces that idea.
  • Bandit (human) (Haunted Moathouse - 1st Floor) - Bandits are everywhere, and this particular bandit seems to have chosen the haunted moathouse as a base of operations. Humans are perhaps the most common race in the Realms, and that's no different in this band, though this particular bandit is perhaps a bit rougher and more murderous than most.
  • Bandit (elf) (Haunted Moathouse - 1st Floor) - Bandits are everywhere, and this particular bandit seems to have chosen the haunted moathouse as a base of operations. While elves are typically seen as one with nature and as proud beings of the forests, this particular elf has decided that his impressive archery skills would be much better put to use killing people and taking their money.
  • Bandit (leader) (Haunted Moathouse - 1st Floor) - Bandits are everywhere, and this particular bandit seems to have chosen the haunted moathouse as a base of operations. This particular bandit seems to be the ringleader of the entire bunch, and the excessive muscle on and size on him would suggest he rules more by intimidation than anything else. Certainly creating a hideaway on top of what is said to be a haunted crypt couldn't possibly be anything wise.
  • Vampire (Haunted Moathouse - Dungeon) - The gaunt and feral features of this being have a wild and hungry look to it. The fiercely glowing eyes, razor sharp teeth, and pallid color all suggest a mad hunger for blood. The way it attacks you on sight certainly confirms this hypothesis.
  • Skeleton Guard (Haunted Moathouse - Dungeon) - Although this being seems to be nothing more than an animated pile of bones, the added armor and and weaponry make it a much more formidable foe than it would otherwise seem.
  • Skeleton Knight (Haunted Moathouse - Dungeon) - This creature, although nothing more than an animated pile of bones, has been outfitted with far better armor and weaponry than most undead. It also seems to retain some minute vestige of what martial prowess it had in battle, as it moves faster and more surely than others you've encountered before.
  • Skeleton Archer Elite (Haunted Moathouse - Dungeon) - The red pinpricks of light in the skull of this skeleton seem to focus more closely on you as it looses the arrow it's drawn back. While not as tough as the other skeletal undead you've faced here, it's certainly just as dangerous.
  • Rufus (Haunted Moathouse - Dungeon) - Rufus is a literal hound from hell. He stands taller than a mastiff, and the sunken embers of his eyes glow with a ferocity that is equal parts flame and madness. The muscles that ripple beneath his skin and the yellowed fangs with barely concealed bits of flesh and blood speak to the obvious power and danger of this creature.
  • Carmella of Chaos (Haunted Moathouse - Dungeon) - The pale and waxy figure before you is obviously dead and the horror of her sunken eyes and corrupt flesh is made all the worse by the woman's misguided attempts at beauty. She has applied various paints and powders to her face, in an insane bid for the beauty she possibly had before. All this cannot however, mask the aura of power coming from her, and as a lich, she will definitely make a formidable foe, despite her obvious insanity.
  • Twisted Asyrian Guard (Asyria - Stronghold Main Hall) - The guards of Asyria are solid and stout of heart and keep the peace of Asyria. This one has a mad gleam in his eyes though, and the gnashing teeth and frothing lips might be some slight cause for alarm.
  • Twisted Asyrian Priest (Asyria - Stronghold Main Hall) - The priests of Asyria have long protected the strongholds of Asyria and have been great sources of light in troubled times. The only light around this one though is a sickly glow, and the maddened eyes show that he won't be preaching anything of peace any time soon.
  • Asyrian Mystic (Asyria - Stronghold Main Hall) - Asyrian Mystics are very adept in the arcane arts and are fearsome casters. The very air crackles around this one, and the way he keeps twitching and fidgeting makes it seem as if he's not entirely in control of the arcane power around him. That does not, however, make the magic he casts any less dangerous.
  • Asyrian Death Hound (Asyria - Stronghold Main Hall) - The creature resembles a big, powerfully built dog with short, rust-read fur; its markings, teeth, and tongue are sooty black. It has read, glowing eyes. The way it looks at you and the way its slavering jaws keep twitching are hardly a comforting sight.
  • Passage Guardian (Asyria - Deep Passage) - Skilled at defending the treasure of the Asyrian people, the passage guardians are fearsome defenders. The force of will behind these individuals has been twisted though, making them far greater a danger to the Asyrian people than anything they might have once guarded against.
  • Dakmor Restless (Dakmor) - Zombies are corpses reanimated through dark and sinister magic. These mindless automatons shamble about, doing their creator's bidding without fear or hesitation. Whatever magic was able to reanimate this corpse though, granted it far greater power than most other zombies, and the mere touch of this restless dead can be deadly.
  • Dakmor Throatcutter () - This divine magic user has sacrificed whatever was left of his soul for mastery over the dark and twisted arts now at his disposal. He commands undead and is able to bring forth the chill of the grave to strike at his foes.
  • Darkmore Knight (Dakmor) - Two pinpoints of orange light glow within the eye sockets of this creature's blackened skull. Charred, battered armor covers what remains of it's decayed body.
  • Dakmor Assassin (Dakmor) - Though this undead monstrosity is little more than rotten bones within equally rotting clothes, it seems that whatever magics put it together were able to revive some of the backstabbing skill this individual once had in life, making for a far faster and far sneakier skeletal warrior than would otherwise be expected.
  • The Dakmor Magistrate () - It is rumored that the Dakmor Magistrate was appointed by Master Cain when he was still a mere mortal. His treachery did not end in the material world, it seems. What's more, whatever twisted magic it once had in life seems to have been doubled in power with his death.
  • Atlantian Defender (Atlantis) - This humanoid has slightly pointed ears but otherwise appears human. Perhaps the most common of the Atlantian forces, this particular soldier stands against any who would dare invade their lands.
  • Atlantian Electromancer (Atlantis) - Although electricity and water don't really mix too well, this particular magic user has managed to harness the power of the storms with deadly efficiency. The lightning and thunder bristling at this mage's fingertips will do more than provide a tiny little static shock.
  • Atlantian Arms Master (Atlantis) - Standing proud above all the other Atlantian troops is the arms master. He has forged himself into a weapon for his people and is well-versed in the military arts making him a tough foe. In addition to that, he has a rudimentary grasp over magic, making him that much more dangerous.
  • Atlantian Slave Master (Atlantis) - Rising above other slaves through sheer brutality and unabashed violence, this particular slave has risen above the others and now commands a position of, if not respect, then at least power among the other lizardlings enslaved by the Atlantians.
  • Atlantian Slave (Atlantis) - Since the war with the flayers, the Atlantians had to replenish their ranks. The solution to this was to enslave some of the lesser aquatic beings, and conscript them into service as basic grunts. Individually, they're not much, but these lizardlings often come in great numbers.

AGhost_7

Post#6 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:05 pm

I'll be adding these, great stuff!

You should be able to send PMs now, I manually gave you the permissions.

BMR

Post#7 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:07 pm

Awesome, thanks!

bsb5652
Site Admin

Post#8 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:00 pm

I'll submit an issue on the Portal for em too and assign it to you AG.
Brian Bloom

Realms of Trinity Executive Producer & Game Creator
http://www.realmsoftrinity.com

AGhost_7

Post#9 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:58 pm

Annnd, description edits are now committed to our module's repo.

Return to “Content Contributor's Corner”