If you tweak the paladin class...

This is the place to post builds and or questions on builds.
Zippy_Zaboo

If you tweak the paladin class...

Post#1 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:38 am

... you should consider adding access to the WM feat line, I think.

It doesn't seem to make sense that things like Monks will end up with (for example) superior weapon focus, weapon mastery, and epic focus, while a paladin--which is at heart a fullblown melee character--will not.

Fighters have to pay for everything, but they get tons of feats.
Monks get much of it for free and they have access to everything that the fighters can get.

Paladins should perhaps have something in the middle. Maybe an initial progression similar to monks (focus and GWF for deity favored weapon as auto feats, or something like rangers where they choose a progression path at level 2) with the option to spend additional feats on mastery etc.

Amar0r

Re: If you tweak the paladin class...

Post#2 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Zippy_Zaboo wrote:... you should consider adding access to the WM feat line, I think.

It doesn't seem to make sense that things like Monks will end up with (for example) superior weapon focus, weapon mastery, and epic focus, while a paladin--which is at heart a fullblown melee character--will not.

Fighters have to pay for everything, but they get tons of feats.
Monks get much of it for free and they have access to everything that the fighters can get.

Paladins should perhaps have something in the middle. Maybe an initial progression similar to monks (focus and GWF for deity favored weapon as auto feats, or something like rangers where they choose a progression path at level 2) with the option to spend additional feats on mastery etc.

I couldn't agree more.

kc2345

Post#3 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:32 am

One way they can be significantly boosted without much tweaking is making their spell boosts stronger, as they're a mix of Martial training and Divine spellcasting.

Give them full CL (if they don't have that already), and allow Divine Favor to last 1 min/CL for paladins (up to +5 AB/DMG at CL50). Other spell buffs can be made stronger for paladins exclusively, like allowing Flame of Faith to scale for paladins much in the same way the Druid Flame Weapon does.

Coupled with their other AB buffs (Bless +4 at CL50, Aid +1, Prayer +1), Paladins will be fairly potent.

Paladins already are stronger than Fighters/Barbarians at baseline, but are severely let down by an outdated gear set that simply cannot keep up with the more modern releases. With some minor tweaking to their spells and with a gear set update, I would think Paladins can easily keep up with other melee.

konst3d

Post#4 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Yeah, full CL progression for paladins and rangers. I think this is first what should be done.
Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

Return to “Player Building”