Level Cap going to 40 and much more?!

Updates on roll-outs.
bsb5652
Site Admin

Re: Level Cap going to 40 and much more?!

Post#21 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:13 am

We allow 50 million XP, it has nothing to do with what we allow but the engine being hard capped to only read in 40 lines in from exptable.2da file. Since the engine uses pc's ECL penalty when calculating your "next" level, if you're level 38, its going to look for say 41. Well there isn't a 41 defined, and even if there was it wouldnt read it in due to the engine.

Also, don't forget there are plenty of XP freebees that are the same regardless of your level. Party XP, EX mode, RP System, and Character deletion XP for normal mode characters.

Goodguy666 wrote:I like having something to aim for....and its quite disheartening if some day in the far future (years from now, unless XP changes) some of us are stuck on 38 ;) Why not just allow it to go higher so everyone gets to 40?

ah, well. Its a debate I can restart once I get to an even remotely relevant level. Right now getting to ER4 is hard enough :)

Perhaps the banked XP system should take this into consideration. Seems very possible to use banked XP to get to higher levels with alot of dedication. I know of someone (*cough* Icarus *cough*) who has done the cormyrian expanse well over 15 times. Otherwise I think cormyrian expanse will be the only way to really gain XP at higher levels as it levels off as Brumm describes.

This also makes easy mode much harder (as normally you are not relient on banked XP to get levels) as banked is only 50%.

Im just brainstorming here. Im sure new areas will show up, but its always good to have a feel for the direction and end-game. (and dont like the ECL cap on levels)

Cheers

P.S. This is in no way a whine. I think its great with even more to do on the server. Look forward to it :)
Brian Bloom

Realms of Trinity Executive Producer & Game Creator
http://www.realmsoftrinity.com

Brownyman

Post#22 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:01 am

Level 40 cap is quite exciting news , the potential for further developing chars is immense. Also the obvious server development pushing things forward all the time. Great work as it always seems to be here, professional and prompt!

So a few quick questions -

are they proper levels? Could you now make for eg. Wizard 10 red wiz 10 Asoc 10 pale master 10?

Would you get extra epic feats at appropriate levels.! Do you still get feats every two levels?

Would base classes still get the extra feats at the same advancement?

I know this is brainstorming as level 40 is a long way off any of any of all my chars exp total!

Thanks

AGhost_7

Post#23 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:21 am

Brumm wrote:maybe i have an idea to fix that. If it is possible you can delete the ECL and replace it with a permanent XP-penalty. For Example 5%/ECL or 8%/ECL. Not sure about a fair value. So it is theoretical possible for a Yuan Ti to reach lvl 40 and on the other hand you dont have the problem that lvl 34 is not that far away like it should be.

Well, the xp pen thing is on the closed engine side. With that in mind, it would be possible to emulate it with some global script I suppose.

The current fix is no good imho. Basically, non-ecl races get an "xp pen" because they're higher level.

bsb5652
Site Admin

Post#24 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:15 pm

Well we stumbled into another show stopper. ECL races cant de-level / re-level at level 38 and above, so were going to remove ECL penalties from all races, put the level scheme back to what we originally proposed and just not give pre-ER 3 bonuses to ECL races.
Brian Bloom

AGhost_7

Post#25 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:52 pm

ECL 0 and 1 will keep the Pre-ER3 bonus while ECL 2 and 3 will not have it awarded even if they didn't take easy mode.

DualKatanas

Post#26 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:03 pm

Good to hear it's all worked out, as a lot of my characters have ECLs and I wouldn't want them to be stuck at levels 38/39 (though of course me getting all of them there would probably quite realistically take the rest of my life). If you're going back to 7 million XP for level 31, though (which is best, I think), what will happen to the characters who previously got to levels 31-33 without even going through an ER? Will they just have those extra levels removed? (No harm done if so, I know I didn't have any time to get used to it).

bsb5652
Site Admin

Post#27 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:31 pm

From my testing, you keep the levels until you relevel at the Temple. It's up to you whether you keep them or not. Which I think is fair given it was our screw up of not thinking to test the ECL at that point that led to all this anyhow.
Brian Bloom

AGhost_7

Post#28 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:58 pm

You might want to revert to level 30, as doing so will increase your XP per kill.

MadMage999

Post#29 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:50 am

Brownyman wrote: So a few quick questions -

are they proper levels? Could you now make for eg. Wizard 10 red wiz 10 Asoc 10 pale master 10?

Would you get extra epic feats at appropriate levels.! Do you still get feats every two levels?

Would base classes still get the extra feats at the same advancement?
Thanks

Yes, they are proper levels, For example I had a frost mage 6, arcane scholar 10, paladin 2, sorcerer 12. After applying enough xp for level 40 on the beta server I was able to level frost mage, paladin, or sorcerer, but not arcane scholar as the cap for that PrC is 10.

I got my choices of epic feats as you would expect for a character after level 20, and spell progression also continued. The level 31-40 prgression is a left over from nwn1 from what I've been told.

A short google search turned up sources for "neverwinter nights level progression" such as http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Level_progression, http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Sorcerer (progression for sorcerer past level 30), http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Monk (progression for monk past level 30.)

So, looks like neverwinter nights is the place to look for progressions between 31 and 40, since this is what it will be for the time being anyway, not sure if it will be left as nwn1 progressions forever,but for now, it should be accurate.
Co-Founder: Arcane Society

-=<ICE>=-

MBH for real

Brumm

Post#30 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:35 am

Hi,

I have found a new bug. My sorcer (Ahriman Cold) is not able to take vampiric feast since he hit the lvl 31+. I had this issue before lvl 31+ was unlocked but normally i can fix it by releveling again. Now i have the same problem every relevel.

Greetings
Brumm

Return to “Development News”